Subterranean Termites In Chattanooga: What You Should Know
Rivers, lakes, and mountains surround Chattanooga; it has a mild climate that makes this destination desirable all year round. This vibrant and urban city has quaint neighborhoods ranked as one of America’s best places to live. One resident of Chattanooga that thrives in quaint areas is the subterranean termite. If you’ve got the wood, it’s got the appetite.
What Everyone In Chattanooga Ought To Know About Termites
Subterranean termites cause more termite damage than any other species. These destructive insects can be found all over the United States (except Alaska). Informed homeowners must be able to identify subterranean termite castes to stop them from ruining your home.
Identifying castes of subterranean termites are as follows:
- Soldiers: This caste has a flat body (wingless) with a creamy white coloration, and their head is brownish (darker than a worker). Its head is noticeably rectangular, and they have large jaws.
- Workers: This caste has a creamy-white body similar to soldiers and measures about ¼ inch or smaller. Their jaws are small.
- Reproductives: This caste consists of a king, queen, and alates (flying termites). Alates have long bodies with a dark brown to black coloration and wings that are a milky color. Queens are much larger than kings. Their bodies grow to be between ¼ to ½ of an inch long.
Since subterranean termites are the most common termite found in the United States, homeowners must know about their living preferences and behaviors. Living preferences and behaviors of subterranean termites include:
- Living preferences: Subterranean termites need moisture and will typically nest in or near the soil using tunnels as shelter tubes for traveling. If the temperatures are warm and the soil around your home is high in moisture content, you may find them under and around buildings.
- Behaviors: When these termites find their favorite wood (typically decaying or moisture soaked), they will eat 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Any products that have cellulose are a yummy dinner for subterranean termites. They typically build their mud tubes and enter into the home through cracks less than 1/16 of an inch wide. Once inside the house, nests can splinter off into multiple areas and damage your home substantially.
Everything You Ought To Know About Termite Damage In Chattanooga
Subterranean termites destroy silently. Unless homeowners are vigilant, termites can happily chew through the structural beams of their homes. Subterranean termites use their saw-toothed jaws as shears, removing bits and pieces of wood a little at a time. A small colony of 60,000 workers can eat 1/5 of an ounce of timber every day. This “small” colony can eat a 2×4 piece of wood in one year. Over time, the costs of damages can be devastating to homeowners.
The Secret To Effective Termite Prevention In Chattanooga
Regular inspections of your property both inside and out are crucial for catching subterranean termites early. There are preventive measures homeowners can take when trying to stop these voracious eaters from entering their homes. Prevention techniques homeowners can practice include:
- Sealing any cracks or crevices around foundations.
- Avoiding standing water near foundations.
- Keeping water away from your foundation with functioning gutters, splash blocks, and downspouts.
- Using dehumidifiers and ventilating high moisture-prone areas such as basements and crawlspaces.
- Removing wood debris from your yard (do not bury it in the soil)
- Removing all wood contact with the ground.
The Best Way To Protect Your Chattanooga Property From Termites
Once termites have found the food they need within your home, they are hard to stop. The pest professionals at Perfect Blend Pest Solutions can put a stop to their destructive ways. Our company recognizes that your home and family are unique; therefore, we adapt and adjust to meet your ever-changing needs with reliability and flexibility. Call Perfect Blend Pest Solutions today for a free inspection.
Request Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.
Perfect Blend Pest Solutions
1446 Main St.